Saturday 26 January 2013

Pantyhose Performance 2. (Although these may be tights actually)

In a earlier post I said how good it is to wear tights on stage if you are a rock band.  Well this post is further evidence, and today's featured band is the Dum Dum Girls.
We see a lot of pantyhose styles here - plain black, striped and patterned tights
Dum Dum Girls is the project of singer and songwriter Dee Dee and started in Los Angeles in late 2008. She is currently based in New York City with the rest of the band in Los Angeles. The name is a double homage to The Vaselines' album Dum Dum and the Iggy Pop song "Dum Dum Boys."

You can see that their style is black tights on stage - but not all the same - a range of patterns.  The tights are combined with low heels.
The different tights and shoe styles indicate the girls are non-conformist, free spirits.  If you are more an X factor product band you would all wear the same.
Is that a little hole I see on the right

Jules and Dee Dee
Apparently lead singer/guitarist Dee Dee never takes off her sheer, black, vertical striped tights.   (Well not never, never on stage maybe).  Apparently she wore them on the first gig, saw they looked good and carried on with them.  They are from a store in New York.

Perhaps the choice of black tights indicates the "dark" side.


Satan on my lips
Here it lies by his wicked kiss
Taking baby sips
To keep and an eye on what I might miss
Will I dream tonight
There's nothing left, there is no light
Need you here to be my guide
Pull me out to the other side

I've dreamed a death
It's mine tonight

Mirror's hazy film
Protects me from the state I'm in
I can't recognize
The face that wears these vacant eyes

I've dreamed a death
It's mine tonight

Tonight I'll sleep, my eulogy
Oh won't you sleep in with me
I slip away, I fall asleep
I've dreamed a death I cannot cheat


Is that a upside down cross at the back
Do the lyrics envisage a final fatal snog from Mephistopheles himself?

The Dum Dum girls are political too, supporting planned parenthood
The Pope don't like it - but will these legs in tights turn him on?
What about the lyrics.....

Oh whoa-oh

I take as much as I can get
I don't take any regret
I close my eyes to conjure up something
But it's just a faint taste in my mouth

I think I'm coming down
I think I'm coming down

By tomorrow I'll be leaving
By tomorrow I'll gone
If you want to tell me something
You had better make it strong

'Cause I think I'm coming down
I think I'm coming down
I think I'm coming down
I think I'm coming down

I think I'm coming down
(Here I go)
I think I'm coming down
(Here I go)
I think I'm coming down
(Here I go)
I think I'm coming down
Here I go

There I go

You abuse the ones who love you
You abuse the ones who won't
If you ever had a real heart
I don't think you'd know where to start

'Cause I think I'm coming down
I think I'm coming down
I think I'm coming down
Yeah, I think I'm coming down

Yes, I think I'm coming down
Yes, I think I'm coming down


A ode to abusive love

She drinks as much as she can without regret of getting really drunk to make her memory of her ex fade away. The faint taste in her mouth has double meaning - the faint taste of alcohol and the faint taste in her mouth which is used as an expression to describe a faded memory.

"If you want to tell me something.You had better make it strong" 
- Also a double entendre - Whatever it is he has to say, she is telling him he needs to be upfront about it now or never. She wants to be prepared to hear what he has to say by drinking heavily to numb the pain.

I think I'm coming down - from the high of drink or drugs

"You abuse the ones who love you. You abuse the ones who won't. If you ever had a real heart. I don't think you'd know where to start"
- He's obviously hurt her and taken her love for him for granted. He doesn't have any real emotional attachment to anyone though he pretends to. She sees through this though and knows he will never really care because he is a fucked up person. Hence the last line.

Holed and ladder tights as rejecting conventional female stereotypes?

Or is it, a homage to Yoko Ono’s classic, disturbing, groundbreaking 1964 feminist performance art film, “Cut Piece”

Fuck knows.  Its a great song.

Nice ladder (not laddered) tights


No comments:

Post a Comment