Monday 31 January 2011

The return of frumpy flats?

I read in the paper today as I was relaxing over lunch with my (2" heel) boots off and my tan tights feet on the desk, that flat shoes are back.

"Peacocks, the bargain basement fashion chain, has announced that, for the first time, sales of flats have outstripped heels by three to one.  Since the start of 2011, sales of flat shoes have soared by 70  per cent (compared with January 2010) at ­Peacocks’ stores nationwide and online." (Daily Mail)
Flat, flat, flat.  But at least the sandals have some style
 What a disaster.  Heels are just so much more stylish, you can do so much more art with heels or platforms.  What can you do with a flat shoe?  A bit of a pattern, a bow, a strap.  I have a pair of flat gladiator sandals which I quite like, but my platformed gladiator sandals I love.

Those sandals look so much better with a heel
That's without mentioning the sheer sexiness of heels.  Tits forward, bum out guys love it.

Then there is the power of heels, that extra height they give you to let you look the customer or the boss in the eye.  The confidence that comes from looking good in heels.
Try dominating in flats
I know the health arguments about heels.  Which is why I say regularly slip your heels off and walk about in your stocking feet.  Anyway comfort isn't just a function of height.  Poorly designed flats can be just as uncomfortable.  And if you are used to heels, you'll find flats hell.  Debbie Stallard suffers pain in flat shoes that she was let off community service for motoring offenses - good trick if you can pull it off.

Ahhh slip those heels off
So if you must wear flats?  At least wear some nice tights to make your legs more interesting.  Sandals are probably the least boring of the flats.  There is more scope for cool design in sandals, and you can show off your nyloned feet.  But not very practical in winter - better stick to heels then.

At least the spotty, dotty tights are cool
Are they flats I see in the grass?  You look better in your stocking feet!


No comments:

Post a Comment